Wednesday, March 12, 2008

T.V. Dinners

I love T.V. dinners. I'm not kidding.

My friends think I'm crazy, and Peter just shakes his head in disbelief, but it is my comfort food!

When I was a little girl and my parents would leave me with a babysitter I hated to see them go. Somewhere in there, my mom decided that a special dinner would be in order to get my mind off their absence. When we would shop, she would let me choose a T.V. dinner to save for when they went out on dates. I would actually check the freezer inventory periodically, just to see what was there in case they ended up going out. My favorite was (and still is) the Salisbury steak with plastic style potatoes, rubbery corn, and cherry pie (if you can call it "pie"). When I was in Russia, I remember coming practically unglued in a store when I found a Russian T.V. dinner. I bought it on the spot, stuffed it in my backpack, and then stored it in my 4th floor windowsill between the sets of windows to keep it cold (it was snowing that time of year still). My roommates thought it was some kind of joke. It was all business to me. Eating it was like being home!!!

So why all the prose? Because I just had one. The Salisbury steak kind with the plastic potatoes and corn. No pie, but that's OK. It was great. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant.

8 comments:

Amy K said...

AAAHHH! Is this an announcement or did I just miss it somehow? Congratulations!! :)

And I can't believe you like TV dinners but, after explaining about the memories, I can understand better. :)

Angel said...

Congrats! Another adorable kiddo for the Fear household. :) Hope you're feeling okay and that everything goes smoothly.

Paula Velez said...

Congratulations! Enjoy as many TV dinners as you want and take good care of yourself! I know you're not kidding about loving those dinners. Do you still love grocery shopping too? :)

Debra said...

I'm not as much into grocery shopping anymore. I used to be so inspired by all the possibilities, but now I just race through trying to not leave a trail from little hands grabbing along the way. I've actually crossed the line, and become a Vons online shopper! It is so fast and easy (it takes less than 20 minutes)! The only challenge is that you have to plan your menu pretty carefully ahead of time. But then again, a little planning ahead is good...Recently I have been avoiding them for the smell factor, but that is improving too. :-)

Central Asia Review said...

I don't know much about T.V. dinners. To be sure I have eaten some in my lifetime, but none so memorable as you ones you've described.

However, that cold little cupboard like place nestled between the two beds in the postage stamp sized rooms on those sky blue and white boats, at Rechnoi Vokzal in Moscow, brings back countless memories.

My parents spent over $10 to send me a bag of yellow corn grits (my southern comfort food) and I carefully hid it away (the fridge) after being shown by one of the more experienced shipboard dwellers .

Nice to be reminded of comfort food and good memories. Congratulations on the coming little one.

Jen S said...

Congratulations, Debra! I just wandered onto your blog and read your post. How exciting! Take care and try not to eat TOO many plastic potatoes! :)

The Campbells said...

I think it's because you're pregnant. LOL!

Btw, I want to use you as a model for my portfolio, and do "baby pictures" with you, and also the rest of the family, if you are willing to let me. O:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.