The best part of INTERNATIONAL BE KIND TO LAWYERS DAY is that you're the judge of exactly how much you participate. Here is a brief list of idea starters to get your legal kindness flowing.
- Take your favorite lawyer out to breakfast or lunch (make sure it's not billable!).
- Send your lawyer a "just because" greeting card or a bouquet of flowers.
- Switch your ring tone to the "dah-dah" sound from NBC's "Law & Order."
- Abstain from telling lawyer jokes for 24 hours.
- If you can't abstain, tell your funniest lawyer joke but switch out the lawyer with your profession. (I bet it's still funny.)
- If you accidentally say something wrong or inappropriate on this day, just follow it up with the words, "Strike that from the record." Then continue talking as if nothing happened.
- Salute the flag as you walk or drive by your local courthouse.
- Watch your favorite legal drama and pretend you're the one delivering the powerful closing argument. Some suggested films: "The Verdict," "To Kill A Mockingbird," "A Few Good Men" and "With Justice For All."
- Do some simple repairs around the house with a gavel instead of your trusty hammer.
- Try to slip words like "I object!" or "You're out of order!" into your everyday conversations.
- Try to write up your own Articles of Organization for an LLC or draft your own will. See? It's harder than it looks.
- Take notes at a meeting on a legal pad. Don't you just feel smarter looking at the glorious yellow hue of that 8-1/2" x 14" pad?
- Go ahead, be creative. What are some ways you can be kind to lawyers today? Be sue to let us know so that we can add your ideas to our list.
Entertainment Weekly posted their list of the Top 15 On-Screen Lawyers. What do you think? http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20189419,00.html