Monday, October 15, 2007

Seeing the Light of Hope

I just finished reading the headlines of several major news sites, and have determined the news today to be in accord with the weather outside: bleak.

I was just about to be feeling down over the fact that our governor has just signed into law that boys can use girls restrooms at school now (to help those with gender identity confusion) (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58130), that Algore has just won the Nobel Peace Prize (http://blogs.abcnews.com/scienceandsociety/2007/10/everybody-has-a.html), that Turkey is set to go after the Kurds as well (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301748,00.html), together with countless other quagmire news, when I remembered one joyful moment today...

Peter and I decided to put away the Jonah Veggie Tales movie, because Hannah is starting to think that that is exactly the way the Bible records the story. When she was looking for it, I explained that we were going to put it away for a while until she and Daniel knew the REAL story of Jonah in the Bible better than the characterization by the cartooned vegetables.

She didn't complain. Instead, she quietly went to the bookshelf and pulled down her Bible. She asked me to help her find Jonah. When I was delayed, she decided to read 2 Kings 2 instead. To hear her read the story of Elijah being caught up to heaven, and Elisha insisting on a double portion of Elijah's spirit, with perfect clarity and inflection, I had to sit down and quell the tears. She asked pertinent questions demonstrating that she was trying to understand this supernatural event, and continued through the chapter. What a beautiful picture it was, and what a blessing to have a sweet hearted daughter who has amazing phonetic ability beyond her years - she is 4 years old!

My children are young. They need to be shielded and protected and trained now. But I hope that one day our little arrows will pierce the darkness of the world with the Light of Hope that is our Lord. There is hope for tomorrow, and the next day, and the next...

2 comments:

Amy K said...

Sweet. Yes, there is always hope and children are a good reminder of this. I was also disheartened by SB 777 passing the legislature and being signed by the Gov.! I guess it's another instance for me to trust God more.

"Nick" said...

Hmm... methinks you need to invest in The World's Greatest Stories... word for word from the Bible in either NIV or KJV:) www.worldsgreateststories.com

Jonah is on the first one, and there is a new CD coming soon...