Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Melting Pot

Seeing the pan on the stove and supposing that my wife had already filled it with water, I turned it on so that the water would be boiling by the time I had the corn ready to put into it. Coming inside a few minutes later, I found Debra and her Aunt Lisa staring at a pan that had melted onto the stove. There was a bunch of molten stainless steel (or whatever it is made of). Never seen that one before. Memo to self: always check to make sure there is something in the pot before turning on the burner.




Here is one of the pieces of molten stainless steel after it cooled.

3 comments:

Darren said...

I didn't know pans could do that. Good work!

Peter said...

Thank you, thank you. I figured pans could, but I didn't know my stove could. I was pretty impressed. It reminded me of Johnny Tremain and I'm glad no one tried to stop the molten metal with their bare hands like poor old Johnny.

Nica said...

Heh. Heiko and Bronwyn had that happen, what happened was that the metal that is inside the sandwich bottom melts and causes the sandwich bottom to separate from the pan. Bronwyn ended up having the interior metal spill all over her floor, but thankfully it didn't burn anyone.