Monday, August 25, 2008

Milestones

This weekend we celebrated two major milestones. My beautiful mother turned 60 on Saturday, and my parents celebrated their 40th wedding annivesary on Sunday. (In case you're wondering about the proximity of the dates, my mother did not want to be a teenage bride, so they waited to get married until the day after she turned 20!)

As part of the celebration, I wanted some "mom-time," so I suggested that we go to the spa. You have to know that my mom NEVER goes to a spa, or really pampers herself in any way, so I was pleasantly surprised when she was interested and excited. She wanted just a manicure to make her nails pretty, especially in light of her wrist surgery this week and the giant cast on her wrist, and I wanted a pedicure - because I can't reach my toes right now.

When we got there the ladies were all excited that my mom was there on her birthday and gave her the extra special treatment. When she revealed to all of us that the last time she had had a manicure was 40 years ago this weekend before her wedding, we all sighed and they really rolled out the red carpet treatment. She ended up with 10 lovely LONG nails! I was happy to just have a pedicure and watch her be spoiled.

When we got home, Daniel examined our fingers and toes and was quite concerned with my toes. I got a French pedicure, but the lady was feeling artistic, and painted a few little white flowers while she was at it. Daniel was really interested, and figured this is what you DO on birthdays, and then announced that when it is his birthday he will paint trains on his toes... Hmmm....

Yesterday we celebrated my parents 40th wedding anniversary. (We had earlier celebrated in July, when all of us went to the lake for a week, but this was the "official" weekend.) It seemed strange to me that just my parents, my brother, and my Nana having dinner. If they had been feeling up to it, and I wasn't so pregnantly huge, I would like to have given them a big party. It's funny that you have a big wedding at the beginning of your marriage, with lots of guests to support and honor you. And then you make it FORTY years, and you celebrate with a small family dinner party. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I'm so grateful for my parents. My mother is so selfless. Even with her arm in a cast, she's trying to do things for me so I don't go into labor! My parents' marriage is an inspiration to both Peter and me. Forty years is - well, longer than I've been alive!

Congratulations, Mom and Dad, on your first 40 years together, and 60 years of life. I love you!

2 comments:

Jen S said...

Debra, what a sweet post! Your mom is such a sweetheart! I'm glad you convinced her to get pampered! Please tell her I said "hello", "happy birthday", and "happy anniversary!"

Jane said...

Debra, you have some of the most wonderful parents in the world. Your post brings a tear to my eye--so tender! God has been so good to you.