Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dangerous Toilet Incident - or - Another Reason I Love Being My Kids' Mommy

This afternoon there was a loud crash during quiet time. I dropped my project and went running down the hall as I heard a gasp for air followed by a moan and LOUD crying. Apparently ___________ (name withheld because someday they are going to be as embarrassed as all get out), took an "extended potty visit" and - fell asleep on the toilet. The crash was what happened when said anonymous child (hereinafter "SAC") fell on the floor headfirst, pants down, and was then very confused, somewhat embarrassed, hurting, and altogether not happy about such a rude awakening.

Grateful that the bathroom door was not locked, I rushed in, scooped up SAC, helped them get dressed again, and soothed lots of tears in the process. Then I carried SAC to the couch, and with lots of cuddles, SAC fell asleep in my arms for the rest of quiet time.

As I lay there trying not to giggle I couldn't help thinking that someday this will be a special memory, because SAC rarely naps anymore, and never on Mommy. It was one of those times I love, a funny moment when only Mommy can save the day.

But if you're ever staying at our house, please try to stay awake in the bathroom.

2 comments:

Jane said...

oh that is so sweet! I giggled too (apologies to SAC)

We have a video tape of our child asleep on a potty chair. It is absolutely adorable. Our child is now 25 and we should go find that video tape, come to think of it--hmmm, I wonder where it could be hidden???

the Joneses said...

This story makes me laugh every time I think about it. Bless you for not identifying the child. :)

Just got your card and letter. I laughed all through that, too. I look forward to reading it aloud to Darren tonight; it'll be even funnier that way.

-- SJ