Saturday, April 01, 2006

Funny Story--Kinda

Okay, time for a funny story. Well, maybe.
We decide to rent a hospital grade breast pump for the next few weeks since it may be awhile before Caleb can get all of his meals from Mommy. The only place you can rent it from is the hospital downtown. Probably because I am the only parent not admitted to the hospital, I get chosen to go pick up the breast pump. So, I ask the lactation consultant for directions. Oh, it's real easy, you just go to the main entrance, get on the elevators and go to the fourth floor. You'll see the signs from there. No problem.
I park in the normal parking garage, and walk across the street to what looks like the main entrance. I didn't see any other entrance and this is a huge entrance. There is a big banner that says something about a trauma unit, but it looks like a promotional sign and it was so high on the building I didn't notice it the first time anyway.
I go inside and it looks real simple. There are the elevators. I push the button and the lady at the information desk asks if I know where I'm going. I explain that I'm going to the Mother's Resource Center on the fourth floor. She says I can only go to the third or fourth floor and mumbles something about critical care and radiology. She doesn't look with it and doesn't seem to know what is going on so I go up to the fourth floor.
After walking around for awhile, I realize this is the critical care unit and there is no Mother's Resource Center here. So, I go back down and sheepishly go up to the lady at the desk and tell her I'm looking for the Mother's Resource Center. She looks blankly at me. "I think it's in the birthing center," I add helpfully. She still has no clue what I'm talking about. I'm thinking, "this is a hospital; they do have babies here, right?"
Suddenly, I see the sweet old lady's light bulb go on. (There is something inside, apparently.) She picks up the phone and dials a number. Someone picks up and she tells them I'm looking for the Mother's Resource Center. Finally, she hands the phone to me. "Hello," I say. "What are you looking for, again?" "The Mother's Resource Center; I think it is part of the Birthing Unit." "Hold on." I'm thinking, "what is she going to do, connect me to them by phone?" She comes back on, "meet me in the lobby." "Okay." I hang up.
The sweet little lady takes the phone from me and then tells me that her daughter knows where everything is because she's the Executive Assistant to the CEO. "So, should we call her back and ask her where the main lobby is?" I think, but only say out loud, "so where is the main lobby?" She points in a general direction and says just keep walking down that hallway. Apparently, I was not in the main lobby, as I had thought.
So, I get to the main lobby (in spite of the directions) and in about 30 seconds this distinguished looking lady comes up to me and asks if I'm looking for the Mother's Resource Center. "Yes." That would be me. Old so-ignorant-can't-even-find-the-breast-pump-rental-so-has-to-get-CEO's-Executive-Assistant-to-show-him-the-way Fear, they call me.
I apologize for taking her time and indicate I didn't intend to take her away from what I am sure is a busy position. She doesn't seem bothered in the least and says, "when your mother asks you to do something, you do it. Besides, I haven't been to that area of the hospital in a long time."
Moral of the Story (kinda)--If you're in a busy position, don't make your mom the info person for your organization unless she has a flawless understanding of every facet of information she might possibly need. Otherwise, you will become the info person for your organization. :)

1 comment:

Nica said...

LOL! Oh my... yes... it works that way ANYWHERE. :)