Saturday, April 21, 2007

60 and 1

March 29 is my dad's birthday, and now my son Caleb's birthday. We didn't plan it that way - in fact Caleb was due to be born on my grandmother's birthday (tax day), but we were just happy that he was OK when he was born a little ahead of schedule.

It seems a little unreal that it was a whole year ago that he was born. I remember feeling a little like my life was being lived for me when my labor was induced, and then rather foggy that he was having trouble breathing. It seemed like it couldn't be happening, and that I'd surely wake up from my dream at any time. I praise God that he is fine and so healthy that, aside from those days in the ICU, he hasn't had so much as a cold in his whole life!

Caleb is definitely my happiest baby. We call him The Smiler, because he is so friendly and contented. He loves his brother and sister, and watches everything they do, for surely they know where the most fun is! He cries when they go play outside without him, and he always wants to play with Daniel. I've noticed that he's very good about not grabbing from them. I think he knows his place, even at a mere 12 months. It is going to be fun to be with him as he grows up. I can't wait to see him play sports. He loves balls! He bats them with his hands and then does his speedcrawling to catch them. He is also starting to appreciate books. He is so sweet and fun, and we all love of our little K-Guy. (That's the name Daniel gave him.)

Papa is the name the kids call my dad. I'm convinced that my father is one of the finest man living. He is one of the wisest, and sincerest persons I've ever known, and the word "gentleman" embodies him. He loves my mother so entirely (of course, she's just as much of a gem, and who wouldn't?), and Dad has faithfully led our family as well as various other groups in his professional career without fail throughout his years. I am proud to have him as my father.

It has been hard to see my father suffering this past year as he copes with Parkinsons Disease. I see HIM, not his shaking. When I think of him, my memories of him are laughing and playing together in the pool growing up, driving home from my wedding rehearsal dinner with him, or Joseph and me as kids wrestling with him after dinner. I remember how he always made us go sit in the front row of whatever church we might visit on a family vacation (I'm rolling my eyes and smiling just thinking of how embarrassed I felt each time), "underwater speedy rides" in the pool, long talks at the dinner table, working together at the office, and his definite tastes in clothing and home decor - the latter traits not common to many men I've known. He is still that man, and will continue to be. I love him for who he is. I just wish more people could know my dad like I do.

This birthday was a milestone for both Dad and Caleb. One turned 60 years, the other 1. Those two really enjoy each other, and I know why, because I do to.

Thank you, Lord, for surrounding me with such wonderful family!

2 comments:

Melissa Ens said...

Hi Debra! How fun to read your blog and see what you're up to these days... Paula told me about it and she got me blogging too. I guess it's contagious. :) Tell your parents hi for me. From Melissa Ens who used to be Krause :)

Debra said...

Hi Melissa! What a small world! I've often thought of you, and wondered what and how you are doing. I'll pass the hello on to my parents, if you'll say a hello to yours for me. :-)