Friday, April 27, 2007

Overheard

Hannah and Daniel have become friends recently. (Praise the Lord!!!) Now that Daniel talks, Hannah has started to include him in her little playworld, as well pour her somewhat vast (for a four-year-old) collection of information into his little sponge mind.

Here is some of what I've been hearing:

Scene: Kids are playing together outside on the teeter-totter. Having a great time. I hear lots of giggles. Hannah says: "Look, Daniel, we're orbitting! I am Venus and you are Mercury!" Daniel now calls himself "Mercury."

Background: Hannah has a placemat the 43 U.S. Presidents on it. She has been studying it and memorizing it. At breakfast, she quizzes me: "Mommy, can you tell me who the 8th president was?" Fortunately, Mommy can read and count. Correct answer is: Martin Van Buren. She praises me: "Good job, Mommy." Recently, I noticed Daniel at the table pointing to the presidents and saying: "Abe'ham Lincoln, George Wash'ton, Andrew Jackson, Richard Milhous Nix'n, Grace R'formed Bapt Church, Ron'ld Re'gan, George Dub Bush... In case you're wondering, the 5th one there is our new church.

Daniel is way overdue for a haircut. I usually cut his hair, but he's got SO MUCH HAIR, and it's so overdue, that I decided that we needed to take him to get a professional haircut. I talked to my dad, and we made a plan to go see his barber, so Daniel could watch first and then have his own haircut. All week, Daniel has been prepping himself: "I go see Big Tony. I get haircut. I be BRAVE."

And finally, a few minutes ago, I was on the computer checking email. Hannah walks in: "Mom, when you're 36, I will be 76 take away 70." She's right. (Wow!)

No comments: