Friday, February 29, 2008

Why I'm Glad I'm Not a Democrat

I set a goal for myself to write at least 3 times a month on the blog. Does it count if Peter contributes?

Just in case, I thought I better push hard today to meet my own goal...

Peter and I were having a conversation the other night that went something like this:

(DISCLAIMER: I NEVER VENTURE INTO POLITICS, SO BEAR WITH ME...)

D: I'm so glad I'm not a Democrat right now. I would be so confused.

P: Why?

D: Well, if I were voting Democrat, I would really be stumped as to who to vote for. I don't like Hillary a whole lot because she just irritates me and a myriad of other reasons. But at least she is a somewhat "known-quantity," I mean, we know what she thinks - she tells us. But then there is Obama. He's got this cult-like charismatic following and I can't figure out why. He never says anything. It's all hype.

P: Have you heard him speak? He's brilliant.

D: No, I haven't. But what he's got going for him in my opinion is that he is likeable and he's NOT Hillary.

P: You should listen to him sometime.

D: I can't. We don't watch T.V., and the only time I hear someone's clips is when I'm driving and listening to talk radio on the hour.

(Both thinking)

D: I will say that I think Hillary has a better position on a few things - like her position about meeting with rogue nations - just for the sake of discussion. She's against it. For all her problems, I think she has a better grasp on foreign policy, even if her "experience" is somewhat - at least we think it to be, but now we wonder about her position in the White House - vicarious, through her husband. I realize you can pick up a lot living with someone, but then...well, was there a co-presidency in effect - then?

P: Who knows. You aren't tired are you?

D: Then there is this whole momentum thing. Obama is on a roll.

P: I don't think she's going to catch up.

D: I have heard Michelle Obama. I was totally impressed with her. She's got a head on her shoulders. That woman knows what is up.

P: But she's not the one running. What did you hear?

D: Then again, is it even a great time to be a Republican? I'm not exactly thrilled with John McCain. At least he has some bonified years of experience. I think he'll grow on me - especially when I think about the options.

P: Yeah, me too.

D: You know what? It's a great time to be an INDEPENDENT!!! If I were an Independent, it would be a snap. I would be a whole-hearted McCain voter. He's got experience, and he is business. I was pretty impressed with how he handled the whole New York Times flap...very presidential.

P: I was impressed too. He didn't lose his cool. He addressed the issue, and closed the subject.

D: Yeah, so if I were an Independent I would vote McCain for a lot of reasons...

P: You're not sleepy at all are you.

D: I guess not, but I can stop here.

P: OK, let's get some sleep.

(Pause.)

P: Yeah, I guess McCain is growing on me too.

1 comment:

Nica said...

LOL! That conversation cracked me up. :)