Saturday, May 17, 2008

Peter vs. the Skunk

Early yesterday morning Peter went out to check the chickens. They have been sick recently, and two of them have died, so he checks them frequently.

Once out at the coop he saw something moving in the brush nearby and assumed that a chicken had broken out of the coop. So he started chasing the chicken...until it stuck it's black and white tail straight up in warning. Realizing the imminent fragrant threat he put his hands up and backed away slooooowly.

Later in the evening Hannah, Caleb and I watched the mother skunk from my parents media room while she taught her EIGHT babies how to dig for grubs. It was fascinating! Then we came home and I put them to bed.

Just then Peter called. He was stopped at the gate with Daniel in the car.

"Honey," he said "I'm stuck at the gate. I can't get in."

"What do you mean?" I said, looking out the window seeing his headlights just inside the gate.

"There are two huge skunks and eight baby skunks blocking the way - all with their tails up in the warning position!"

"Well don't get any closer to them. Your car will stink for a LONG time. Why don't you try honking?"

"I don't think it would help. They're practically deaf, you know."

"Yes, but what could it hurt?"

I hear a honk.

A second later, he proceeds down the driveway and walks in the door.

We're not quite sure what to do about this...Anybody know how to eradicate skunk?

---

Hidden camera moment recently:

Today I went to an all-day scrapbooking event. All day... 9am to 9pm. I didn't go for the whole time, but I did get a lot done!

When I went out to the car, I couldn't get the back hatch of Peter's Explorer to unlock. Frustrated, but remembering that my key doesn't always work in his car's doors, I went around to the front. I stuck my key in the door and the lights came on inside. I started to climb in and reach to unlock all the doors when I realized that someone had left something else in the car since I left it in the parking lot. How strange, I thought, examining the new carseats and toys. Then it hit me. This wasn't our car!

I quickly closed the door and gathered up my gear, and headed over to OUR car - two cars down.

2 comments:

Paula Velez said...

Living in the country sounds very exciting. And I can totally relate about the car. I think there are a million white minivans in Fresno and I have more than once started to put my key in someone else's. I never got one open though :)

Unknown said...

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and all the family's adventures. The skunk remedy is well known. My cat Erasmus (Raz) got hit by one in 1971. Tomato juice is the only "cure" I know of. So I got in the shower (with doors that close) with Raz and the tomato juice. He didn't like it much, but it worked. After slopping it all over him and rinsing him, the scene was reminiscent of the shower scene in "Psycho." (smile) The kids are getting soooo big! You and Peter look so happy on your cruise.
Miss you all, Sandi (from London)