Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Actually, she WAS born yesterday

Meeting Abigail

Today my mom brought the kids to come meet their sister at the hospital. This is a tradition that I love to savor each moment of.

When Daniel was born, the Hannah's first comment was "Put it back."

When our Caleb came, the Hannah and Daniel were interested, but moreso because he was hooked up to lots of machines in the ICU and was really interesting to look at behind the glass bubble.

Now we have Abigail. Hannah is practically beside herself with pure joy. Daniel thinks she is really cute and wants to kiss her ALL the time. And then there is Caleb.

When Caleb walked in and saw me holding Abby, his big blue eyes welled up like giant blue-green tidepools. He didn't cry, but he wouldn't look at me or his sister. Finally, I sent Abby to my mom, and my very sober Caleb climbed into bed with me and just put his head on my shoulder and held me. Since we've come home he has studiously ignored her, and refused to kiss her goodnight, although he did condescend to say "Goodnight, Abby."

Poor Caleb. I knew he was in for a rude surprise. He understands about baby, for sure. In the meantime, I'm trying to find ways to make him feel special during this time too.

4 comments:

Jen S said...

Aww, that is so sad/sweet about little Caleb. Aren't you glad that you have enough love in your heart for ALL of them?!! Hopefully, he will see and know that too. :)

Lisa Templeton said...

The way Caleb is captured in this photo says it all. I'm certain he'll grow to love Abigail also, once her realizes that she hasn't taken his place.

Carol said...

This is another treasure...We will be sure to give lots of attention to Caleb, Daniel and Hannah when we arrive at your home for our next visit.

Amy K said...

Aw, I can see the look on his face in the picture--he's really not sure about Abby and his new role as a middle child. I know you'll find ways to show him he's special and still your baby!