Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Bartimaeus and the Sweater

This morning after Hannah came to wake us up, she went back to her room to play for a few minutes. Before too long, we could hear the following, in increasing tones:

Hannah: I need a sweater. I'm cold.

Hannah: Did you hear me? I said I need a sweater. Somebody, get me a sweater.

Hannah: Get me a sweater right now. I'm calling you!

Hannah: Why is no one getting me a sweater? Daddy, Mommy, Daniel, New Baby - somebody get me a sweater!

Hannah: I'm like Blind Bartimaeus! I NEED a sweater!

Throughout this line of request, Peter and I are laying thinking about the fact that she can sometimes be so demanding, and that we are not going to give into this and reinforce this behavior. But when Bartimaeus came up, we just burst out laughing!

In case you are unfamiliar with the story of Bartimaeus, it is found in Mark 10:46-52. Just outside of Jericho sat a blind beggar named Bartimaeus. He called out to Jesus through the throngs of people, and Jesus not only sorted out his voice, but came and healed him - restoring his sight.

Apparently Hannah just knew that crying out like Bartimaeus did got results...and they did. Peter got up and gave her a sweater.

No comments: