Thursday, October 12, 2006

Just trying to work out!

Feeling out of shape, I recently purchased an exercise DVD where I can do any combination of five 10 minute targeted area work outs. I figured I could squeeze in 10 minutes or more on a regular basis. Who couldn't? Besides, getting exercise together as a family is a good habit.

I wasn't counting on The Helpers. Hannah is my veteran aerobics partner. Peter says one of these days he's going to video me doing the work out, with Hannah copying me - right underfoot the whole time - and Daniel copying Hannah. I'm sure it is a sight. I'm just trying not to step on anyone.

Today we (meaning Mommy and the entourage) decided to do the abs portion after we finished our outdoor projects. (We're already sweaty right?) Silly me. I hadn't done this portion before, and wasn't flashing on the fact that much of it is floor work for crunches, etc.

Picture this:

Mommy and Hannah laying on the floor. Hannah is pressed right against my left arm.

Hannah: "Daniel, move back from the screen. Scoot back. We can't see."

Mommy: Thinking 'Right on, Hannah.' Says "Daniel, move back. Hannah, give Mommy some more space."

Daniel: Turns around and looks at us on the floor. Looks at the screen. A flash of recognition. They match! Doesn't move an inch.

Hannah: Not moving an inch herself. "Daniel, move BACK!"

Mommy: "Yes, Daniel."

Daniel: Scoots back about 3 inches, still blocking the view.

Mommy and Hannah readjust so they can see around Daniel.

Daniel turns around and studies us.

Mommy and Hannah proceed with workout.

Daniel turns around with an evil mischievious grin.

Mommy wonders what is up, while counting crunches to the left with small daughter blocking her arm.

Daniel moves back from the screen with that same odd look. Before I know what is happening, Daniel has 'fallen' on me!

Mommy: "Daniel! That hurts me! Get up! You stand here!" Puts him behind her.

Daniel is determined now. He climbs back on Mommy and lays full body out, making crunches impossible.

Mommy thinks 'This is a 10 minute work out, I don't have 3 minutes to spend on this!'

Hannah: "Daniel, you are a DISGRACE to the movie!"

Mommy: Thinking 'Yeah!' then, 'A disgrace? Where does she come up with these things?'

Daniel is laughing uproarously now. This is great fun. He's climbing back on me saying "MORE!"

This went on for the rest of the 10 minutes. So much for family exercise time! Apparently this is a children's naptime video. ;-)

2 comments:

the Joneses said...

I'm so glad to read this. I thought I was the only one with a dysfunctional exercise household. Sit-ups and crunches are especially impossible because it's so FUN when Mama gets down on the FLOOR!

Maybe it will be easier now that the kids are a little older... until Daphne gets to the crawling stage. Better work out fast...

-- SJ

Paula Velez said...

I agree. There is nothing quite as cute as trying not to step on your little ones while they try to copy you copy the lady on the screen. One of my videos even has very tempting exercise bands that Joel likes to use for his muscles.

When I do squeeze out the time and the kids are around, I'm getting better at working around them :)

--Paula